If you are done using your boat dock for the next few months, then there are some things you need to do to get your aluminum dock or floating boat dock ready for the down-time.
- If you have a water pump on your boat dock, then you need to drain it so it will not freeze
- Go ahead and disconnect your power cord to the dock… there is no need to keep it plugged in if you are not using it!
- Tie down your dock furniture so it does not blow off the dock or around on the upper deck. We recommend tying all the chairs together around the table. This usually works just fine.
- Empty your dock box of all un-needed items. It seems that every year more junk gets thrown into the dock box and when you need something, you are rummaging thru stuff you needed to throw away.
- Empty the garbage can in your boat – no need to let that sit for a couple months. Yuck…
- Remove life jackets from the dock box and boat and hang them up so they do not mildew and stink. No one want to wear a filthy life vest.
- Remove all the tubes, paddle boards, kayaks and any other items that you are not going to use for the next 4 to 5 months. You don’t want to invite someone to steal them
- Check the ropes on your boat. Make sure they are good quality and tied correctly.
- If you are on a boat lift make sure it is blown up all the way.
- Lastly inspect your dock anchoring. Make sure your winches are in good working condition, the cable is in good shape and mostly make sure your anchor stakes are properly installed.
If this list sounds a little daunting, Marine Specialties has a dock maintenance program that will move your floating boat dock in and out as the lake moves. We will also do dock inspections at that time.
Also… if your boat dock is in need of repair, such as re-decking or in need of re-floating, the winter is the best time to get this work completed. If you wait till summer, you will be waiting longer due to the summer back logs. This is especially true for aluminum docks if you’re thinking of a new Wahoo dock! So be proactive and get on the schedule today!
If you’re not sure what you might need, give Marine Specialties a call and schedule an appointment to have your dock inspected.
And don’t forget… Now is a great time to buy a new dock box for Christmas! Give us a call – we have a large selection in stock.